Recent news and updates from our chapter:
Following are a few announcements and reminders as of 03/20/22:
Some REMINDERS and ANNOUNCEMENTS:
PODCAST #6 -Attached you will find the link for our 6th podcast."The Role of Ethnology and Genealogy in Portuguese and Spanish Classrooms.
I want to thank our panelists:
- Sophie Beal - Associate Professor of Portuguese at the University of Minnesota
- Rosa Bell - Teacher of Spanish at Campbell H.S. in Hawaii
- Catherine Scott - Retired teacher of Spanish at the Kennedy Campus in the Bronx, NY
I also thank Metro NY board members who serve on the Podcast Committee:
- Mara-Lee Bierman
- Francisco García Quezada
- Rosanny Genao
- Dr. Alan Hartman (podcast host)
- Dr. Liliana Soto-Fernández
1. SPANISH - ITALIAN TEACHER NEEDED - at Iona Prep in Westchester county. Click on the link below for more information. Kindly communicate per the instructions.
I was hoping you could include the following job opening in my school, Iona Prep in New Rochelle, in your next email blast.
I would appreciate it very much.
2. MEMBERSHIP SURVEY: The national office sent out to members a survey regarding your opinions about the chapter. If you are currently a member, you should have received it. Some members have expressed their displeasure that we will no longer be able to have an Annual NSE Awards ceremony due to National's restructuring of the contest fees. National is charging a flat $5.00 fee. Formerly, we could ask for an additional $1 or $2 per student and this money would be forwarded to us. We would use this money to pay for all the costs for having an Awards Ceremony. It would include the cost of the medals, printing of certificates, breakfast refreshments and the cost of renting/security for Stuyvesant High School. If you feel as strongly as the board about the change, let National know. I've included here a link to the survey. We wouldn't mind if you would express some positive comments about us! LOL.
3. CONGRESO EDUCATIVO: Have you registered? Remember. The date of the virtual congreso is April 2nd. The theme is "Mi gente en los Estados Unidos." Did you ever wonder the reasons for Latinos coming to the United States? Over the years to where did they immigrate? With many groups there were waves of immigration. You'll be surprised as to the reasons for coming. Why did they choose certain areas? What were/are their contributions? Remember. CTLE credits will be given for your attendance. I've provided the link for the program and registration information.
Bernard A. López
AATSP Metro NY Chapter
As always, we wish you good health and peace during these turbulent times.
Bernard A. López
President of the AATSP Metro NY Chapter