We hope you and yours are doing well. Following are a few announcements and reminders.
1. The Jericho School District of Nassau County is seeking a part time high school teacher of Spanish with certification and experience for the 2020-2021 school year. If you or someone you know is interested, kindly apply on the OLAS website.
2. Our chapter board is seeking teachers/students who have experience with creating podcasts. Kindly respond to me at this email address: BLopez.email@example.com
3. The 2021 AATSP National Conference will take place in Atlanta, Georgia (primero Dios). The conference scheduled for this summer in Puerto Rico is postponed to the summer of 2022.
4. The NSE testing period has been extended to May 30, 2020.
5. Now that we know that the schools will continue to be closed for the rest of the year, we will continue to send you information that may help you with long distance learning. You will find in our resources tab above for some useful tools for online learning.
6. This is a reminder to pay your 2020 dues if you have not done so.
6. This is a personal plea. I sit here watching the world go by as I work on my computer and read. I see too many of our young people of color not wearing masks and not practicing social distancing. I understand if an individual is by him/herself and not wearing a mask, but that's not the case. They walk in groups not following the mandate. You and I want this terrible situation to be over. But, it's not going to happen if everybody doesn't follow the required precautions. What can you do? Remind our young people of the precautions. Speak to your community and religious leaders to speak up. Does the city administration really think that the Dr. Oxsiris Barbot's television commercials are going to cut the mustard with our young people? I apologize if I've taken liberties here, but I fear this is going to go on for a mighty long time. I want to be able to hug my granddaughters again!
Stay safe! Todos a una
Director of Communications
AATSP Metro NY Chapter